Shine Dome, Australian Academy of Science, Canberra
One of the most memorable buildings in Canberra must be the Australian Academy of Science’s building, the Shine Dome, (formerly Becker House). When it was announced during 1957 some members of the press described it as a “beehive for boffins”.
It was designed by Melbourne architect Roy Grounds, a partner in the firm of Grounds, Romberg & Boyd. Grounds was famous for his obsession with circular and triangular geometries. The Academy was his first large-scale commission.
The building was constructed by Civil & Civic, and completed in 1958. The structural engineers were W L Irwin & Associates.
The Governor-General, Sir William Slim, officially opened it on 6 May 1959. The building went on to win the Sulman Medal for 1959 and then the Canberra Medallion for 1961.
The building was renamed the Shine Dome in 2001 after it was renovated with support from Professor John Shine and the Federation Fund.
Return to Canberra page